Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Perspective

My closest work friend is in the hospital awaiting a biopsy of her brain tumor that was found on Sunday. She's doing OK, the tumor hasn't spread anywhere else that they can see with a CAT scan, and though it's inoperable due to the shape and proximity to her thalamus, she's in good spirits and I've spent several hours in the past couple of days with her, joking around and helping distract her. Send some happy and healthy vibes out into the world if you get a chance.

On my way down to my car in the elevator today, after she and I hung out for a bit, I met a brand-new baby girl leaving the hospital for the first time. She was tiny and all squinty from the light of the elevator, and I told her parents they did a good job, and then practically ran out of the elevator.

Hospitals are odd places. One building holds so much energy - the energy of those trying to keep spirits up while they wait to hear test results; the energy of new lives coming into the world, the energy of lives leaving bodies. It can be kind of overwhelming to think about.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your work friend! Sending much healing light her way. It sounds like you did an amazing job in lighten her load a little. Hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that I'm helping at least a little; it's always so hard to know what to do but I think just being calm and keeping it light has worked pretty well for her.

      Delete
  2. Being there for her and keeping her distracted is most likely the best thing anyone can do for her. You're being a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely puts things in a different perspective! I'm sure your friend is so grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overwhelming indeed. I'm also thinking of someone with a brain tumour at the moment, trying not to think of the implications and waiting for a treatment plan tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete